[Vwoolf] Susan Standford Friedman

Detloff, Madelyn detlofmm at miamioh.edu
Mon Feb 27 13:18:29 EST 2023

Dear All,
In case you have not seen the news, Susan Stanford Friedman passed away
yesterday.
She was an amazing scholar and generous mentor to so many scholars and
students. She held the Virginia Woolf Professorship in English and Women's
Studies at University of Wisconsin. Some of you may remember the keynote
she gave at the 17th annual conference on Woolf at Miami U. One of the most
remarkable things about Susan was that despite her scholarly acumen and her
stature as one of the preeminent scholars of modernism, she always always
had time and attention to give to younger scholars and students. I said
this once to her face, and I am glad that I did, that I often would think
about life and professional goals and would think "when I grow up I want to
be like Susan Stanford Friedman. Then I know I will have done something for
the generations who come after me." I still feel that way, although the
world has lost a luminary and I grieve for her loved ones and former
students.

Her memory will be a blessing.

Love,
Madelyn

--

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://miamioh.edu/about-miami/recognition/index.html__;!!KGKeukY!wKBE3pH5DDXt7cbJzV7wYVSaHSUZuB-koYdGIkOlfYGtCJ9kZhpJIJxhl1hwRTFdE66qUT48STuRM1_V1fwXF4Ab$ >

Madelyn Detloff

Chair and Professor of English

Professor of Global and Intercultural Studies

Miami University

356 Bachelor Hall

Oxford, OH 45056  O: 513-529-5221 | MiamiOH.edu/English

Appointment Calendar
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/selfsched?sstoken=UUxBX0NaT3FTYkRrfGRlZmF1bHR8YzQ3M2RlOTMwOTA2NzY3MzA4ZmM0MmE3ZGQxYzQ5ODk__;!!KGKeukY!wKBE3pH5DDXt7cbJzV7wYVSaHSUZuB-koYdGIkOlfYGtCJ9kZhpJIJxhl1hwRTFdE66qUT48STuRM1_V1dTzedQp$ >

*I am agnostic about pronouns as long as they are respectful, but she, her,
hers will do in a pinch*

Miami University is located within the traditional homelands of the Myaamia
and Shawnee people, who along with other indigenous groups ceded these
lands to the United States in the first Treaty of Greenville in 1795. The
Miami people, whose name our university carries, were forcibly removed from
these homelands in 1846.In 1972, a relationship between Miami University
and the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma began and evolved into a reciprocal
partnership, including the creation of the Myaamia Center at Miami
University in 2001. The work of the Myaamia Center serves the Miami Tribe
community and is dedicated to the revitalization of Miami language and
culture and to restoring that knowledge to the Myaamia people.  Learn more
about Miami Tribe Relations.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.miamioh.edu/miami-tribe-relations/index.html?_ga=2.258220618.1183495359.1628526875-119111463.1628526875__;!!KGKeukY!wKBE3pH5DDXt7cbJzV7wYVSaHSUZuB-koYdGIkOlfYGtCJ9kZhpJIJxhl1hwRTFdE66qUT48STuRM1_V1cIrhGVY$ >