[Vwoolf] Screenshot of NYT listing for Danell’s book

Neverow, Vara S. neverowv1 at southernct.edu
Sun Dec 17 12:08:25 EST 2023

!-------------------------------------------------------------------|
  This Message Is From an External Sender
|-------------------------------------------------------------------!

Hi Danell,

My apologies for being too quick in that search (I didn't see the full title, alas). I'm sure that there will be some posts soon thanks to the NYT mini-review that Karen has shared.

It also looks as though the list of editorial reviews that I sent was was corrupted in the email. I've stripped the passage in the email down to plain text which should prevent the information from being garbled (or just shoved off the screen).

Here's that info:

Amazon's current snippets of editorial reviews are pasted in below (including a passage from Gretchen's own review). (The link is: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Prince-Virginia-Woolf-Dreadnought/dp/1805260065__;!!KGKeukY!wModblJAbMyGlQoSV7gGkIEUhp0Mj717O2blUPiwHKNm3697tYuzP9TcDq2AF5krXXy-j-dMLnUetM-T4L6qS3QKwNsW$ .)

"A fascinating, unnerving, and enlightening perspective on a transformative writer and the society that forged her sensibility, radical creativity, and despair." -- Booklist

"An enlightening and insightful book that keeps you reading." -- Remi Adekoya, author of Biracial Britain

"An enthralling book. Danell Jones at last provides the nuanced context and deep historical research so often lacking in commentary on this infamous incident." -- Mark Hussey, author of Virginia Woolf A-Z and Clive Bell and the Making of Modernism

"Jones introduces many of the extraordinary Black individuals' resident in the U.K. at the time, including in Woolf's Bloomsbury, some of whom would go on to play crucial roles in the dismantling of Empire (arguably still ongoing)." -- The New York Journal Review of Books

"Deeply researched and marvellously written, this is the book about Bloomsbury and the Dreadnought Hoax that we've been waiting for. Jones gives an essential racial and historical context for the event and its aftermath, which continues to this day." -- Gretchen Gerzina, author of Black England: A Forgotten Georgian History

"This thorough overview of the hoax and its afterlives presents a unique window onto the early 20th-century British empire."
-- Publishers Weekly

Vara

Vara Neverow
(she/her/hers)
Professor, English Department and Women’s and Gender Studies Program
Managing Editor, Virginia Woolf Miscellany
Southern Connecticut State University
New Haven, CT 06515
203-392-6717
neverowv1 at southernct.edu

I acknowledge that Southern Connecticut State University was built on traditional territory of the indigenous peoples and nations of the Paugusett and Quinnepiac peoples.