[Vwoolf] Woolf Seminar - Modernism and Liberalism by Christos Hadjiyiannis - 21 December 2023, 7 Pm (Turkey Time)

Demet Karabulut demetkarabulut62 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 23:15:01 EST 2023

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing okay and looking forward to the holidays ahead.

We have got some exciting news about another Woolf Seminar happening this month. We are thrilled to announce Christos Hadjiyiannis's talk "Modernism and Liberalism" (please find his bio below). The talk is set for December 21, 2023 7 pm (Turkey time). You can find the flyer attached to this email and use the Eventbrite link below for registration:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/modernism-and-liberalism-tickets-778046777857?aff=oddtdtcreator__;!!KGKeukY!yYFfQdqljoXokUf4E5nQFBhaP113hQZqOGzG6ZnCF42gR5cNbTM8mN6TqGgavfgbIVPrPoLs22n041zRRo8do1w2KIYpKEFn$

In his talk, Christos Hadjiyiannis will be exploring the intricate relationship between modernist literature and liberal democracy by focusing on how some early twentieth-century English writers in London—E. M. Forster, Ford Madox Ford, T. E. Hulme, and T. S. Eliot—engaged with Edwardian liberalism, a dominant political ideology that championed both reformist policies and more radical New Liberal ideas.

Christos Hadjiyiannis teaches English Literature at the University of Regensburg. He is the author of Conservative Modernists: Literature and Tory Politics in Britain, 1900-1920 (Cambridge, 2018) and, with Rachel Potter, editor of The Cambridge Companion to Twentieth-Century Literature and Politics (2023). His current book project, under contract with Cambridge, investigates suffering in Sharon Olds, Louise Glück, and Ada Limón.

We are looking forward to seeing you all online on December 21, 2023 7 pm (Turkey time).

Warmly,

VWST