[Vwoolf] Woolf and Queenie Roth (later Leavis)

Michael Gorra mgorra at smith.edu
Sun May 29 15:14:14 EDT 2022

What is known about the audience to whom Woolf delivered the lectures that
became A Room of One's Own? I know that they were at Girton and Newnham in
fall 1928, but that's about it.  I ask because I'm wondering it was
possible that Queenie Roth--Q.D. Leavis a few years later--was in the
audience.  She'd finished her undergraduate work at Girton that spring but
since she stuck around for a Ph.D....It would be a wonderful irony if she
had been given the Leavises later hostility to Woolf, and of course Fiction
and the Reading Public (1932) contains just the mass of information that
Woolf encouraged students to collect.

with thanks,

MG

--
Michael Gorra
Mary Augusta Jordan Professor of English