[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf Bulletin (VWSGB)

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 10 07:05:38 EDT 2022

 . . . Oh, and so much more.

* May Bulletin *

The May issue of the Virginia Woolf Bulletin is packed full of interest for Woolfians. For starters, there’s an unpublished letter from Woolf to American academic Josephine K. Piercy, with context and notes by Stuart N. Clarke. Then there’s Stuart’s article about the recent discovery of an published version of a Virginia Woolf story later published as ‘Gipsy, the Mongrel’. We republish the story under its original title, ‘The Little Dog Laughed’, as it appeared in the 21 July 1940 issue of This Week, an American Sunday magazine supplement.

Nuala Hancock revisits Virginia Woolf’s vivid and often exhilarating engagement with plants and gardens in the light of our own heightened perception of nature during recent ‘lockdown’ times. Robert B. Todd explores Virginia and Adrian Stephen’s house-hunting in 1907, after the marriage of their sister and house-mate Vanessa; uncovers the identities of two characters featured in a throwaway but scandalous remark in a 1928 letter to Vanessa from Virginia; and provides two notes about Angelica Bell’s acting career.

Stephen Barkway examines the Woolfs’ musical tastes around the time of the Second World War, based on a purchase 20 years ago by founder member, Sheila Wilkinson, of a number of the Woolfs’ gramophone records at a Lewes auction.

Expat Woolfian academic Mark Hussey offers his memories of his first encounter with Virginia Woolf, while the ‘Virginia Woolf Today’ column looks at Woolf’s current standing. Outgoing Chief Editor Stuart N. Clarke casts his mind back to his 2015 talk celebrating the 50th issue of the Bulletin, plus reviews, events, memories of a former member, and an appeal to join our online events.

If you're not a member but would like to be, see the Membership page of the website: virginiawoolfsociety.org.uk/membership

Sarah
Sarah M. Hall
Publicity and Marketing Officer
Virginia Woolf Society of GB