[Vwoolf] The Equator

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 27 14:22:34 EDT 2022

I think it depended on what your governess taught you!

Turning to my mother’s school geography book – 1903?, but the map of Greece suggests a 1913? reprint – I see that it’s obvious that geography was a matter of learning by rote.  E.g. “Afghanistan ... is bounded on the North, by Turkestan; on the West, by Persia; on the South, by Baluchistan; and on the East, by India.”

Thus leading to simple uncontestable questions and answers, such as: Which of the four principal races of mankind is the most important, the most numerous and the most civilised?

As for the Equator, although the maps and diagrams show it, the explanation is unclear: “The Equator, and all the lines in this diagram, represent circles though two of them are drawn quite straight.”

Stuart