[Vwoolf] The Equator

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 27 05:56:23 EDT 2022

“to this day, ask her [Mrs Dalloway] what the equator was, and she did not know.”

See also D1, 1 May 1918

“I remember once, when she [Mrs Ross] was translating a book by an early Italian traveller (she knew Italian perfectly, but spoke it with a Churchillian defiance of accent) she came on the word Equator.  ‘Equator, what on earth is that, my dear?’ she asked me.  ‘It’s an imaginary line drawn round the earth, Aunt Janet.’  ‘Imaginary line; what nonsense.  I shall leave it out.’”
(Kenneth Clark, “Another Part of the Wood: A Self-portrait” (Coronet Books, 1976), p. 116)

For VW on Mrs Ross, see “A Passionate Apprentice”, Diary 21 Aug & 2 Sep 1929, L #485-6.