[Vwoolf] They're a' oot o' step but oor Jock

mhussey at verizon.net mhussey at verizon.net
Sun Jul 31 08:56:09 EDT 2022

It is (pace Stuart) a risky business to dictate what is “possible” when it comes to reading anything, especially by Woolf. Yes, there is enormous pathos in Betty Flanders’s question, but it seem to me that her question can fairly described as curatorial. It is the question all those who have to “deal with” what is left behind must face. And shoes seem singularly challenging. What am I to do with these? Chuck ‘em? Put them on a shelf? Donate them? Give them to the local history museum? Wear them? I don’t know. It’s difficult.

I’ve been thinking a lot recently about memorial culture, specifically in relation to the events known in the US as ‘9/11’ (see attached), and I doubt anything in Woolf is ever “simply one thing” (Ramsay, J.).