[Vwoolf] "foaming"

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 19 14:39:45 EDT 2022

An Australian friend visited me recently and remarked on the remarkable number (to her) of window-boxes and hanging baskets she had noticed in Wales and England.

“And leaning down over a foaming window-box, one [young man] stopped another hurrying past, and upstairs they went and down they went, until a sort of fulness settled on the [Trinity] court ...” (JR, ch. III)

The poetical word “foaming” suggests to me that the window-box is overflowing with WHITE flowers.

Below are two photos from our local garden centre: the first (which is not a window-box) is not overflowing, but the second (the hanging basket) could perhaps be described as “foaming”.