[Vwoolf] Portrait of a Londoner

Neverow, Vara S. neverowv1 at southernct.edu
Fri Jul 15 09:02:33 EDT 2022

Sigh. Isn't it mostly an "American" thing ... the assumption on the part of the publishers that authors like Frances Prose and Michael Cunningham and various other "creative" writers are more likely to spark interest (and boost sales) in their introductions than "dull" scholars? Mark's successful effort to persuade Harcourt to ... gasp! ... allow academics to write the introductions to Woolf's works that were still in copyright was absolutely radical--and extremely rare.

Cunningham continues to spew his questionable "insights" about Mrs. Dalloway. And Mark's recent review of five editions of Mrs. Dalloway in Issue 98 of the Miscellany documents the problems that frequently emerge in non-scholarly editions.

Is it possible that the "lost" London Scene essay was omitted intentionally in the 1975 version because it was somewhat different in style from the others? Was it just sloppy--a failure to include the last essay because it was overlooked?

Vara

Vara Neverow
(she/her/hers)
Professor, English Department and Women’s and Gender Studies Program
Managing Editor, Virginia Woolf Miscellany
Southern Connecticut State University
New Haven, CT 06515
203-392-6717
neverowv1 at southernct.edu

I acknowledge that Southern Connecticut State University was built on traditional territory of the indigenous peoples and nations of the Paugusett and Quinnepiac peoples.