[Vwoolf] Quote source?

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 13 14:51:15 EDT 2022

10 Feb
What a deal of cold business doth a man mis-spend the better part of life in! in scattering compliments, tendering visits, gathering and venting news, following feasts and plays, making a little winter-love in a dark corner. (Ben Jonson, “Timber or Discoveries”)

19 Feb
Our life is short and tedious, and in the death of man is no remedy: neither was there any man known to have returned from the grave. (Apocrypha, “Wisdom of Solomon”)

7 March
“He is an old bore, even the grave yawns for him.” (Beerbohm Tree, quoted in “Max” by David Cecil)

10 March
For I must tell you that in private life I have no patience at all with lunatics. (Freud, Letter to Pfister)

30 March
There is no state in Europe where the least wise have not governed the most wise. (Landor, “Rousseau and Malherbes”)

20 April
“By God, God himself is not so busy that a homicidal maniac with only ten dollars in the world can hitchhike a hundred miles and buy a gun for ten dollars then hitchhike another hundred and shoot another man with it.”
“Don’t that maybe depend on who God wants shot this time?” (Faulkner, “The Mansion”)

23 May
What female heart can gold despise?
What Cat’s averse to fish? (Gray, “Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat”)

26 May
Many of the books which now crowd the world, may be justly suspected to be written for the sake of some invisible order of human beings, for surely they are of no use to any of the corporeal inhabitants in the world. (Johnson, Review of “Free Enquiry into the Nature and Origin of Evil”)

11 June
Women are not by any means to blame when they reject the rules of life which have been introduced into the world, seeing that it is the men who made them without their consent. (Montaigne, “Essays”)

10 Dec
Youth is a blunder; Manhood a struggle; Old Age a regret. (Disraeli, “Coningsby”)

That’s quite enough!
Stuart