[Vwoolf] Big sleep in The Waves

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Jan 10 14:50:53 EST 2022

Nearly two years ago I asked about this comment in Woolf’s holograph
drafts of /The Waves/.

"this is the moment when emerging from the big sleep, between two
sleeps, the braced mind stands taut, & there is no hint of doubt"
(Virginia Woolf, /The Waves. The Two Holograph Drafts/. Transcribed and
edited by J. W. Graham. London: Hogarth Press, 1976, p. 587.)

My query prompted a discussion about sleep habits, and the common
convention of "the big sleep" and "the little sleep" before
industrialization. For those still interested in the topic, here is
another article on it.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220107-the-lost-medieval-habit-of-biphasic-sleep__;!!KGKeukY!kwvTKkjJEZ3EEbLqpbXXVbw4hdzSW8nNPHumRGpGaUojq2KhirhCUqxMoGWWXeT4-MY$

Jeremy H