[Vwoolf] Phyllis Rose on New "Edition" of VW/VSW Letters

Hagen, Benjamin D Benjamin.Hagen at usd.edu
Mon Feb 28 08:12:25 EST 2022

Dear Woolfians,

(Apologies if this already came through the listserv.) Though the full review is behind a paywall, Phyllis Rose has reviewed Love Letters: Virginia Woolf and Vita Sackville-West (intro by Alison Bechdel) for the The New York Review of Books (appears in the 10 March 2022 issue). Here is the link, should you have a subscription (or a way to access someone else’s): https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2022/03/10/i-have-quite-lost-my-heart-virginia-woolf-vita-sackville-west/__;!!KGKeukY!iuW8kqziFMWOEE94ShaVfM1_MbMuy58HXbxrxecZerCswiVq0LrSVmLZ0dtk4Dt6ETE$ . If you subscribe to print issues, you probably already received your copy. (A colleague of mine here in South Dakota told me about the piece after receiving his newest issue.)

Relevant, perhaps, to discourse on the Woolf List about recent “editions” of Woolf’s work, the available snippet of Rose’s review ends:

And who exactly is telling the story? We do not know, as no editor is cited on the title page. Buried on the copyright page we find “selection by Lily Lindon,” but Alison Bechdel’s introduction sheds no light on how this selection was made or what it offers that cannot be found in the letters as masterfully edited in 1985 by Louise DeSalvo and Mitchell Leaska.

Best,
Ben
–
Benjamin D. Hagen, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Associate Professor | Dept of English | University of South Dakota
Author | The Sensuous Pedagogies of Virginia Woolf and D.H. Lawrence<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://libraries.clemson.edu/press/books/the-sensuous-pedagogies-of-virginia-woolf-and-d-h-lawrence/__;!!KGKeukY!iuW8kqziFMWOEE94ShaVfM1_MbMuy58HXbxrxecZerCswiVq0LrSVmLZ0dtktRtVlzU$ >
Editor | Woolf Studies Annual<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://press.pace.edu/woolf-studies-annual-wsa/__;!!KGKeukY!iuW8kqziFMWOEE94ShaVfM1_MbMuy58HXbxrxecZerCswiVq0LrSVmLZ0dtk1ybWduA$ >
President | International Virginia Woolf Society<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.v-woolf-society.com/__;!!KGKeukY!iuW8kqziFMWOEE94ShaVfM1_MbMuy58HXbxrxecZerCswiVq0LrSVmLZ0dtkixK97ZE$ >
–
I acknowledge that the University of South Dakota is on indigenous territory. This land is the traditional territory of Dakota, Lakota, Umonhon, Ponca, Otoe, and Ioway nations.