[Vwoolf] In the original Greek

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 17 07:41:27 EST 2022

“Clarissa exclaimed that she could think of nothing more delightful. For an instant she saw herself in her drawing-room in Browne Street with a Plato open on her knees—Plato in the original Greek. She could not help believing that a real scholar, if specially interested, could slip Greek into her head with scarcely any trouble.” (“The Voyage Out”)

The three Lushington girls were taught by George Gissing:

“The eldest is only fourteen but they might each be taken for at least three years older than they are. I find them rather clever; we do English History & Geography together. ONE OF THEM IS ALWAYS READING HOMER, & TELLS ME SHE WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO LEARN TO READ IT IN THE ORIGINAL GREEK.” (from a letter; my (unintentional) caps)

Kitty Lushington became Kitty Maxse, the inspiration for Clarissa Dalloway in “The Voyage Out”.