[Vwoolf] Chat GPT and Woolf

Mark Hussey mhussey at verizon.net
Thu Dec 15 18:25:43 EST 2022

 Chat GPT does seem to be an undergraduate, perhaps smart marketing major?
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022, 04:26:11 PM EST, Katherine Hill-Miller via Vwoolf <vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

  So I posed this question to Chat GPT: “In 500 words or more, analyze Clarissa Dalloway’s relationship to Peter Walsh in the novel Mrs. Dalloway. ” Here is the second response. The first response was just as grammatical, but covered entirely
So I posed this question to Chat GPT:  “In 500 words or more, analyze Clarissa Dalloway’s relationship to Peter Walsh in the novel Mrs. Dalloway.”  Here is the second response.  The first response was just as grammatical, but covered entirely different theme and used entirely different language:

In Virginia Woolf's novel Mrs. Dalloway, Clarissa Dalloway's relationship with Peter Walsh is a complex and somewhat tumultuous one. The two characters have a long history together, having known each other since they were children. Despite their shared past, however, the two have grown into very different people and their relationship reflects this.

On the surface, Clarissa and Peter seem to have little in common. Clarissa is a wealthy, elegant society woman who is devoted to her husband and her social standing. Peter, on the other hand, is a bohemian and somewhat disreputable figure who is always questioning the conventions of society. Despite these differences, however, the two are drawn to each other and their relationship is full of tension and passion.

One of the key tensions in Clarissa and Peter's relationship is their differing attitudes towards love and marriage. Clarissa is deeply committed to her husband and believes in the sanctity of marriage, while Peter is more cynical and believes that love and marriage are often illusory and unfulfilling. This tension is particularly evident when Peter arrives in London and visits Clarissa, and the two engage in a heated conversation about love and marriage.

Another tension in their relationship is the fact that Clarissa is a successful and respected member of society, while Peter is an outsider and something of an outcast. Despite his many accomplishments, Peter is deeply insecure and feels envious of Clarissa's social standing. This envy is evident in his interactions with Clarissa, as he often tries to belittle or undermine her in order to make himself feel superior.

Despite these tensions, however, Clarissa and Peter still care deeply for each other and their relationship is marked by a sense of shared history and understanding. This is particularly evident in the novel's final scenes, when Clarissa reflects on her relationship with Peter and realizes that he has always been a important part of her life, even if they have grown apart in many ways.

Overall, Clarissa and Peter's relationship in Mrs. Dalloway is complex and multifaceted. Despite their many differences, the two are drawn to each other and their shared history gives their relationship a depth and emotional resonance that is rare in the novel. While their relationship is fraught with tension and conflict, it is also marked by a deep and abiding connection that ultimately makes it one of the most interesting and important relationships in the novel.