[Vwoolf] "Wonking Out: Virginia Woolf and Core Inflation" -- Paul Krugman coins "the Virginia Woolf effect" in yesterday's New York Times

Marielle O'Neill (1806529) PHD M.ONeill at leedstrinity.ac.uk
Sat Aug 20 09:08:51 EDT 2022

Dear Alice,

Thanks for sharing those relevant excerpts.

This links to what I said at a Virginia Woolf Society of Great Britain’s online seminar on On Being Ill in January 2021 and in a speech at the Amsterdam book launch of On Being Ill (2021, Hetmoet Press) last November

The Virginia Woolf Society of Great Britain did a social media project for International Women’s Day 2021 where readers shared photos of their own ‘room of one’s own’ to show how acutely relevant the text is given that women’s work is being so squeezed and undervalued, and space is at a premium with working and schooling taking place in the home which is, of course, heightened by both the housing and cost of living crisis we are now facing.

See:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bloggingwoolf.org/2021/03/01/share-your-room-of-your-own-for-international-womens-day/__;!!KGKeukY!zatBnlGXb7zv3JISWVf6ytrZ5zc78Hbosu7xEBvZxsBYEsAbU-FlOyjsg5fOdI-zyPqDh9E7ARhgdb6rYA6k753gEw3wDg$

The photos can be seen on the VWSGB’s social media channels if people scroll back to March 2021.

Facebook: @VWSGB
Twitter: @VirginiaWoolfGB
Instagram: @virginiawoolfsociety

Thanks, and warm wishes,