[Vwoolf] "the 'ignorance' of privilege"

DIANA SWANSON diana_swanson at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 16:45:21 EDT 2022

I'd like to get back to Stuart's original point (at least as I saw it): the privilege of not knowing--not needing to know, not being forced to know, and getting away without knowing--about oppression and privilege. To quote the beginning of the article that Stuart linked, "Sienna Miller says her new Netflix drama highlights the 'ignorance' of people who don't realise they have a head start in life and 'don't think' about the struggles of those without the same privileges." This kind of privileged ignorance is often about class or race or sex/gender or various permutations/combinations thereof. Isn't that in part what Three Guineas is about?

Diana