[Vwoolf] "the 'ignorance' of privilege"

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 16 05:04:20 EDT 2022

I know this isn’t really relevant to the listserv, but it will resonate with those of you who (like me) come from working-class backgrounds:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61107909__;!!KGKeukY!jqPe0meTvr01hNVZznnvkz6Z06TNnQ2kd0H0ZG40o5HZ1vHKY6J7qH1mDiJtWqW9MV4$

I saw a black woman on the TV the other day, who went to the careers’ advisor at school and said she wanted to go to university.  “What about secretarial college?”

Which reminds me of Sylvia Plath and her mother: go to secretarial college and you’ll have something to fall back on.  From memory, in “The Bell Jar” she didn’t want to type interesting letters for some man, but write interesting letters herself.

I remember telling a Woolfian acquaintance that I had never wanted to work, never had any idea of what to do.  She was surprised/shocked: “What about publishing?”

I then fantasised about going back in time and telling my parents that I wanted to go into publishing, and their subsequent conversation in their bedroom:

“Where’s Lord Muck got *this* idea from?”

“Well, he hasnae got it from me.”