[Vwoolf] Woolf, Sydney-Turner and Vegetarianism

Peter Adkins peteradkins349 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 09:49:08 EDT 2022

Dear Woolfians,

In June 1923, VW writes  in her diary (with her usual snark):  ‘I cant help
liking Sydney—fundamentally honest; fundamentally weak; gullible; & now
settling down to “repose”, which is very delightful. And he’s a vegetarian.
Such a simplification, he said. But if I saw you every day for a week I
could tell you what has been happening to me. Vegetarianism is part of a
whole revolution—Don’t I know it without being told.’

Does anyone know if Sydney-Turner was a life-long vegetarian or if it was
just a phase? Were any of the other Bloomsbury group vegetarians? (I know
that Clive Bell thought that Shaw needed a good beef steak, so I am
assuming not). Any thoughts or insights or suggestions would be
appreciated!

Best wishes,
Peter