[Vwoolf] (no subject)

Mark Scott mark.travis at frontier.com
Sat Sep 11 17:57:56 EDT 2021

As a Common Reader, my thoughts on this article centered on a couple of things.

I have been reading Woolf’s letters for some time now and I have finally reached the summer of 1939 when the Woolfs are about to move to Mecklenburg Square.  Around the time when the first concept for ‘The Waves’ began to emerge, I started to read the diary entries for the time periods that the correspondence covered.  (I had read the diaries some time before I had even acquired the six volumes of the letter.)  What struck me about the article with regard to Woolf’s alleged ‘nastiness’ was that the author was basing his judgments of Woolf’s character on written remarks that were made in journals that were not meant to be read by anybody but Woolf herself, my point being that she wasn’t verbally making these less than flattering comments directly to the people she was describing.  How many of us have had negative thoughts about people we encounter in our lives or acquaintances or even close friends or family?  Maybe we never verbalize these thoughts and they may be judgments or conclusions that flared up in a moment of annoyance or anger that we later dismissed or forgot.  It just so happens that Woolf recorded many of her rather pointed observations about people in her private diaries.  They were not meant to be made known to the people she described.  In other words, they were not malicious attacks made directly at human targets.  It is true that close replications of her remarks often ended up in her letters, especially letters written to her sister, Vanessa Bell.  But, again, that was private correspondence usually addressed to family or close friends that she knew she could trust not to pass those comments on to anyone who might repeat them to their objects.

My other observation is that, as is usually the case, the tired, unfortunately repetitious description of Woolf as the mad, elitist, depressed writer who ultimately committed suicide leaves out what has been evident to me since I first read ‘Orlando’; Woolf’s incisive and often scintillating wit.  Maybe it says something about my own personality but I often find myself laughing at Woolf’s imaginative puncturing of what may or may not have been overly inflated egos.  It’s true that sometimes her jabs do feel like they were aimed at undeserving targets.  That being said, I would love to have been the proverbial fly on the wall during some of the conversations between Woolf and some of her close friends and family.  Great intellect on display flavored with the spice of brilliant wit.  That’s what I hear in my imagination.

Mark Scott
Common Reader