[Vwoolf] Rather unexpected Woolf sighting in video game

Jean Mills millsj7 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 12:18:09 EST 2021

Exactly, Adela! There's much to unpack.

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 12:09 PM Adela M Hurtado via Vwoolf <
vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Thank you for sharing this! I’ll keep a look out for the suicide note
> quote once I get my hands on the new Xbox. An interesting tidbit is that
> the studio behind the Halo franchise is run by a woman, Bonnie Ross, who
> helped found it nearly 15 years ago. She has led initiatives for women,
> girls, and minorities in STEM and gaming careers and for diversity in video
> game storytelling, which she has purposefully done in the Halo series that
> she loves. Maybe she’s also a Woolf fan!
>
> Just looked her up now and she’s one of only two women inducted into the
> industry’s Hall of Fame!
>
> I have fun memories playing the Halo series with friends in high school,
> and so thank you for sharing this Woolf news.
>
> Adela Hurtado
>
> On Dec 6, 2021, at 11:11 AM, Graham Borland via Vwoolf <
> vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Woolfians,
>
> In an unusual enough Woolf sighting, I stumbled across a review of a new
> video game in the *Halo *franchise which mentions that a character in it
> quotes Woolf in a cutscene.
>
> If the reviewer is to believed, however, the game seems to somewhat
> insensitively cite a perhaps all-too-predicable text of Woolf’s in an
> attempt to lend seriousness to the plot.
>

> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dgg7k/halo-infinite-is-a-fun-sandbox-stuck-inside-a-very-old-video-game?utm_source=waypoint_twitter&utm_medium=social__;!!KGKeukY!mCg7INqhahc5KhXYO5NQ7HUpKpwDUaM5dUVIjuprrohy0W1J9BIawAw2KFqWt8PCQ48$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dgg7k/halo-infinite-is-a-fun-sandbox-stuck-inside-a-very-old-video-game?utm_source=waypoint_twitter&utm_medium=social__;!!KGKeukY!hvSHtoUWNxfKTudli7c-_gzMXOuoifbexIY0YsKipQbd_Tf-9o2ozj6vXfYIq6QO6Kw$>
>
> Not the first Woolf-ism in a video game, however, as Jean Mills noted in
> her essay in the Cambridge Companion to To the Lighthouse.
>
> Best wishes,
> Graham
> --
>  Graham Borland
>

>                ؟

Jean Mills (she, her, hers)
Associate Professor
The Department of English
John Jay College/CUNY
524 West 59th Street, Room 7.63.12
New York, NY 10019

Selected Publications:
"Feminist Theory" in *The Oxford Handbook of Virginia Woolf*, ed. by Anne
Fernald, Oxford University Press, 2021.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780198811589.001.0001/oxfordhb-9780198811589__;!!KGKeukY!mCg7INqhahc5KhXYO5NQ7HUpKpwDUaM5dUVIjuprrohy0W1J9BIawAw2KFqWEDxJBJw$

*Nancy Cunard: Perfect Stranger *by Jane Marcus; Edited and with an
Introduction and Afterword by Jean Mills. Clemson University Press, Fall,
2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://libraries.clemson.edu/press/books/nancy-cunard-perfect-stranger/__;!!KGKeukY!mCg7INqhahc5KhXYO5NQ7HUpKpwDUaM5dUVIjuprrohy0W1J9BIawAw2KFqWkXb3Fus$

"'With every nerve in my body I stand for peace': Jane Ellen Harrison and
the Heresy of War" in *Reconsidering Peace and Patriotism during the First
World War *(Palgrave/Macmillan, 2017)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.palgrave.com/de/book/9783319513003__;!!KGKeukY!mCg7INqhahc5KhXYO5NQ7HUpKpwDUaM5dUVIjuprrohy0W1J9BIawAw2KFqW5n3M7Nw$

*Virginia Woolf, Jane Ellen Harrison, and the Spirit of Modernist
Classicism *(The Ohio State University Press, 2014)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ohiostatepress.org/Books/Book*20Pages/Mills*20Virginia.html__;JSU!!KGKeukY!mCg7INqhahc5KhXYO5NQ7HUpKpwDUaM5dUVIjuprrohy0W1J9BIawAw2KFqWPdkA13A$

Associate Editor, *Feminist Modernist Studies*

212.237.8706
JEMILLS at JJAY.CUNY.EDU