[Vwoolf] Rather unexpected Woolf sighting in video game

Jean Mills millsj7 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 11:26:14 EST 2021

This may pair well with Graham's post, and, yes, Woolf's portrayal in video
games and game theory is fascinating, and when I see her name associated
with the violence of Halo, for ex, although there are many more examples, I
really need a few moments to step back and catch my breath, before I can
process it. But, here's another article in today's NYT, that may be of
tangential interest, by the great Jill Lepore, who invokes Woolf (and Le
Guin) in her article about how these tech-bro billionaires misread history
and fiction. The video game industry is also run by similar impulses for
ownership, entrapment, imperialism, and exploitation. Here's the link:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/04/opinion/elon-musk-capitalism.html__;!!KGKeukY!gsscZEx6EFc29QOxbu9e6r5FIeL-L4J_HBp3ZIUGnlSbHVfkKBzmI1x94dLy4zIa2dk$

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 11:11 AM Graham Borland via Vwoolf <
vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Woolfians,
>
> In an unusual enough Woolf sighting, I stumbled across a review of a new
> video game in the *Halo *franchise which mentions that a character in it
> quotes Woolf in a cutscene.
>
> If the reviewer is to believed, however, the game seems to somewhat
> insensitively cite a perhaps all-too-predicable text of Woolf’s in an
> attempt to lend seriousness to the plot.
>

> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dgg7k/halo-infinite-is-a-fun-sandbox-stuck-inside-a-very-old-video-game?utm_source=waypoint_twitter&utm_medium=social__;!!KGKeukY!gsscZEx6EFc29QOxbu9e6r5FIeL-L4J_HBp3ZIUGnlSbHVfkKBzmI1x94dLyo8WuRCU$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dgg7k/halo-infinite-is-a-fun-sandbox-stuck-inside-a-very-old-video-game?utm_source=waypoint_twitter&utm_medium=social__;!!KGKeukY!hvSHtoUWNxfKTudli7c-_gzMXOuoifbexIY0YsKipQbd_Tf-9o2ozj6vXfYIq6QO6Kw$>
>
> Not the first Woolf-ism in a video game, however, as Jean Mills noted in
> her essay in the Cambridge Companion to To the Lighthouse.
>
> Best wishes,
> Graham
> --
>  Graham Borland
>

>                ؟

Jean Mills (she, her, hers)
Associate Professor
The Department of English
John Jay College/CUNY
524 West 59th Street, Room 7.63.12
New York, NY 10019

Selected Publications:
"Feminist Theory" in *The Oxford Handbook of Virginia Woolf*, ed. by Anne
Fernald, Oxford University Press, 2021.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780198811589.001.0001/oxfordhb-9780198811589__;!!KGKeukY!gsscZEx6EFc29QOxbu9e6r5FIeL-L4J_HBp3ZIUGnlSbHVfkKBzmI1x94dLyHM5hyxk$

*Nancy Cunard: Perfect Stranger *by Jane Marcus; Edited and with an
Introduction and Afterword by Jean Mills. Clemson University Press, Fall,
2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://libraries.clemson.edu/press/books/nancy-cunard-perfect-stranger/__;!!KGKeukY!gsscZEx6EFc29QOxbu9e6r5FIeL-L4J_HBp3ZIUGnlSbHVfkKBzmI1x94dLyM9sJUjI$

"'With every nerve in my body I stand for peace': Jane Ellen Harrison and
the Heresy of War" in *Reconsidering Peace and Patriotism during the First
World War *(Palgrave/Macmillan, 2017)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.palgrave.com/de/book/9783319513003__;!!KGKeukY!gsscZEx6EFc29QOxbu9e6r5FIeL-L4J_HBp3ZIUGnlSbHVfkKBzmI1x94dLyRTdwG3E$

*Virginia Woolf, Jane Ellen Harrison, and the Spirit of Modernist
Classicism *(The Ohio State University Press, 2014)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ohiostatepress.org/Books/Book*20Pages/Mills*20Virginia.html__;JSU!!KGKeukY!gsscZEx6EFc29QOxbu9e6r5FIeL-L4J_HBp3ZIUGnlSbHVfkKBzmI1x94dLysf9OcQM$

Associate Editor, *Feminist Modernist Studies*

212.237.8706
JEMILLS at JJAY.CUNY.EDU