[Vwoolf] Reflexions on Tavistock Sq and Bloomsbury in 1950

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 08:08:48 EST 2021

 Thanks, Stuart. Apart from the Woolf reference, it's interesting to note how long it took for post-Second World War rebuilding to take place in many British cities. This corner of Tavistock Square was comparatively rapidly redeveloped: Dan Jacobson's Wikipedia entry suggests that he was in London 1949/50, and the bomb site wasn't there for much longer: the Tavistock Hotel was built in 1951, and the exterior remains much the same seventy years later. In 1940 and 1941 Manchester was heavily bombed and rebuilding was still going on during the 1960s: I remember seeing bomb damage there when I was a child.