[Vwoolf] The Ramsays in Skye - owning or renting?

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 15 10:27:18 EDT 2020

That is correct.
Not long before I bought my flat in London in the last century, the tenants (in my block of 185 flats) bought the freehold.  (Not sure if I’ve got all this 100% correct.)  Of course, they couldn’t share the freehold in 185 parts, so a co. was set up, in which the tenants have the shares (some flats are bigger than others – is that relevant?).  And the co. has given us all 999-year leases.  Now some (a very few) tenants didn’t want to buy their share of the freehold, so their flats belong to the co., and, as the leases fall in, we can sell the flats for whatever we can get (leasehold, of course).  I can’t remember where the money goes; I never see any.  I hope this is clear.
However, the “Ground Rent Scandal” only started this century:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/25/leasehold-houses-and-the-ground-rent-scandal-all-you-need-to-know
It is a scandal that people don’t understand simple math(s).
Stuart