[Vwoolf] Dalloway Day Details Needed

Beja Morris morrisbeja at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 15:44:06 EST 2018

Please let me repeat the message I sent back in June:

I might as well cite here some of my evidence for the date of June 20, which seems to me pretty clear cut. As I express it in my edition of Mrs. Dalloway, we explicitly learn that the day of he novel is a Wednesday, and that it is 1923; “moreover, Clarissa wonders if the ‘crush’ of traffic is due to Ascot . . . which in 1923 ran from Tuesday, 19 June, to Friday, 22 June . . . . Gold Cup Day, on which the most coveted trophy is contested, falls on the Thursday. The results of cricket matches noted by both Septimus and Peter are those they would have seen in a newspaper for 20 June 1923 . . . .” (I go on to cite the London Times.) See Morris Beja, ed., Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway (Shakespeare Head Press Edition of Virginia Woolf). Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1996.

If we want to stress Wednesday rather than the date, then 20 June 1923 was the third Wednesday of the month.
Best,
Murray

> On Feb 22, 2018, at 9:51 PM, Paula Maggio via Vwoolf <vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>
> A New Yorker writer contacted me with questions about Dalloway Day, as he is considering writing about it for the magazine. I've seen the discussion on the list regarding the date/day and am wondering if we have a consensus regarding the official day. Will it be the second Wednesday in June? The third Wednesday in June? Or on a particular date in June? (Although that seems not to be favored.) And how will we mark it? A party? A walk? Both? I'd appreciate any thoughts you care to share. It would be wonderful to see a piece about this in the New Yorker.
>
> Paula Maggio
> Blogging Woolf
> https://bloggingwoolf.wordpress.com/ <https://bloggingwoolf.wordpress.com/>
> https://www.facebook.com/Blogging-Woolf-122789521147035/ <https://www.facebook.com/Blogging-Woolf-122789521147035/>