[Vwoolf] Still on the early pages

Martin, James j.martin at klett.de
Wed Sep 18 03:51:24 EDT 2013

Stuart, I agree that jays aren’t blue-green, but I’d wager that the green is supposed to foreshadow (and thus mix the palette in the reader’s mind) the green dress she is to don upon her return.
As far as describing her as a bird, I’m sure you have noticed how many women are described as being birdlike in Mrs. Dalloway, perching on the kerb, etc. I believe this is a reference to the harpies - half-woman, half-bird - that guard the entrance to the circle of hell in which the suicides land (from The Inferno). There are several references in that chapter of The Inferno that find resonance in Mrs. Dalloway, including the wild dogs in the bushes (Septimus/Evans), the bushes themselves that bleed when the branches are broken, etc.
As far as light and vivacious go, those are two adjectives that I had difficulties attributing to the Clarissa I imagined upon my first reading of the novel when I was 26 because she was SOOO old! Now that I’m nearly her age, I know many middle-age men and women who are vivacious. Birds are light and, flitting around as they do, appear vivacious.