[Somean] Papers for Friday

Thomas, William thomas.3846 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Sun Mar 24 23:06:57 EDT 2024

Hi SoMean,

This Friday, I will lead a discussion of game-theoretic approaches to social meaning. This is a very new line of research that I am eager to get SoMean's take on.

A few relevant papers are attached:

  *
Burnett (2019): An attempt to model social indexical meaning by extending the Rational Speech Act (RSA) framework (a probabilistic, game-theoretic framework that has been used to model various pragmatic phenomena).
  *
Qing & Cohn-Gordon (2019) and Cohn-Gordon & Qing (2019): Two related papers that extend and improve on Burnett's models.
  *
Yoon et al. (2020): An RSA treatment of politeness.
  *
Levon et al. (2022): Not about game theory, but relevant because it argues for treating sociolinguistic perception as inference under uncertainty, which is a feature of RSA models.

Read whatever you find most interesting, and feel free to suggest other papers if you know of anything interesting on this topic that I haven't included here. I'll give an overview and some context to get the discussion started on Friday.

Best,
William