[Somean] Estigarribia talk 2:20pm today on indigenous languages

Campbell-Kibler, Kathryn campbell-kibler.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 12 09:57:59 EDT 2024

If you missed this in the long long email like I did, Bruno Estigarribia is giving a talk titled “Language speakers, language grammars, language lives: A linguist's approach to indigenous languages” this afternoon at 2:20pm in Hagerty 255 and on Zoom. There’s a link to register to get the zoom link and some more info on this page:

https://clas.osu.edu/events/language-speakers-language-grammars-language-lives-linguists-approach-indigenous-languages

Abstract

Every scientific enterprise has, as we know, far-reaching implications beyond its own somewhat circumscribed conclusions. Linguistic research intersects on the one hand with issues of language identity and language ownership, and on the other hand with political issues and language planning. I plan to share with you in this talk part of my work on the grammar of Guarani, informed by my studies of its five centuries long contact with Spanish, and how even a "purely scientific" description of the language needs to come terms with these larger issues.

-K

Kathryn Campbell-Kibler
Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics