[Somean] Friday: balancing competing demands in academia

Campbell-Kibler, Kathryn campbell-kibler.1 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 2 13:05:39 EDT 2024

Hey folks,

We have a late topic swap for this Friday. In the department meeting yesterday, Sara raised an issue on behalf of the graduate students that the department isn’t doing a great job of creating a reasonable balance of different work priorities and/or in supporting students finding ways of navigating those demands. It was suggested that some of the questions are subfield dependent, so we’ll talk through what that looks like for us all. I’m sure we’ll have individual advice for each other, but also let’s think about structural or community-level shifts we might like to see.

As usual, we’ll meet at 10:30-noon in Oxley 122 and at https://osu.zoom.us/j/97299418813?pwd=blg1Y1lBL3BqWEN0N0FtbTg1U2lPdz09

See you there!

-K

Kathryn Campbell-Kibler