[Somean] Proposed new rule

Campbell-Kibler, Kathryn campbell-kibler.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 1 11:35:40 EDT 2021

Hey folks,

I was going to ask this just now in our meeting and I forgot, Clippers has added this ground rule to their group and I wanted to see if we liked it and wanted to add it, or a version of it, to ours:

  Note problematic authors: If a cited author is known to have been credibly accused of problematic behavior, and that author is central to the discussion, the existence of the accusations should be noted so as to avoid any implication (by omission) that the problematic behavior is considered acceptable. For example, if it is well known that a certain author has been credibly accused of sexual harassment, and that fact is not noted at the outset, participants in the discussion could come away with the impression that others thought the problematic behavior was ok (or at least not a big deal). Here though it is important to refer to the accusations factually, e.g. noting whether the accusations are alleged versus proven in court.

Let me know what you think.

-K

Kathryn Campbell-Kibler
Associate Professor