[Sc-aquaponics] Changes to USDA Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees and Farm-raised Fish Program (ELAP)

Smith, Matthew A. smith.11460 at osu.edu
Thu May 13 11:41:04 EDT 2021

All,

Please see below the following USDA press release.

https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2021/05/13/usda-purchase-1594-million-nutritious-consumer-ready-seafood-and

Just below the USDA purchasing table in the press relesease we see the following...

"USDA also announced today a policy change that makes food fish and other aquatic species eligible for the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees and Farm-raised Fish Program (ELAP) under the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA). Previously, only farm-raised game and bait fish were eligible for death loss ELAP benefits. Beginning June 1, eligible aquaculture producers can request ELAP assistance for 2021 losses. This policy change is for the 2021 and subsequent program years. To learn more, please visit the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees, and Farm-raised Fish page<https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/disaster-assistance-program/emergency-assist-for-livestock-honey-bees-fish/index>."

Yellow highlights were added by me. They may retroactively support losses for newly covered species that occurred in 2021 prior to June 1 (such as the winter losses occurred in much of the U.S.), but contact your FSA office to learn more. The fact sheet still states you have 30 days after the loss occurred and does not discuss anything about food fish. I am sure we will learn more soon.

https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Assets/USDA-FSA-Public/usdafiles/FactSheets/elap-general-fact-sheet.pdf

Regards,

Matt Smith