[Sc-aquaponics] Fish Fact Sheet Friday and Office Hours

Smith, Matthew A. smith.11460 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 18 11:25:08 EST 2020

NCR Fish Culture, Aqua-Ohio, and SC-Aquaponics,

Unfortunately, there is a NCRAC Board meeting today during my office hours so there will not be the normal Zoom office hours. I will also not hold office hours next Friday (Christmas) or the following Friday (New Year's Day).

As always, you can email me, and we can set up Zoom videos or phone calls any other time if I can help you in any way. Again, this can be an opportunity to ask questions, seek advice, gather feedback, etc. This part of my job is currently being supported by NCRAC, so any farmer in the 12-state region is more than welcome to reach out. Sometimes it's good to just engage with someone not familiar with your specific business to get feedback.

I have always wanted to conduct a water quality workshop where there was a tour of a waste-water treatment plant at the end of the workshop. Since I don't know when that will happen, our Fish Fact Sheet Friday (not really this week), are two YouTube videos describing wastewater treatment plants. They are very educational and helps you understand RAS/AP concepts as well.

The first one can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=pRaptzcp9G4. To not waste your time, I would encourage you to start around 9:37 and watch to the end. This discusses clarifiers, BOD, nitrification, denitrification, etc. I will note that I believe the voiceover meant to state at 18:36 nitrification occurs in the presence of oxygen and denitrification occurs in anaerobic areas. The voice stated it backwards.

Also, I didn't watch this video all the way through but it's a virtual tour of a waste treatment plant. Meaning you get a better idea as to what's going on under the surface of the water.  https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=A2FmNrEmowE

Happy Holidays and stay safe!

Matt

[The Ohio State University]
Matthew A. Smith
Program Director, Aquaculture Extension

Madison County Extension Office
College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences
217 Elm Street, London, Ohio 43140
740.852.0975 ext 17 Office
smith.11460 at osu.edu