[Sc-aquaponics] Franklinton Gardens, Summer Internships Available-DEADLINE ASAP

Tiu, Laura tiu.2 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 18 14:30:57 EDT 2014

Intern with the Franklinton Gardens Urban Farm. A community-based food advocacy initiative working to create a more healthful food reality in an urban food desert. Internships available year round for the Spring, Summer and Fall Seasons.

Applicants can apply for summer term ASAP. Fall applicants apply by June 16, 2014. We strongly encourage local applicants and students, as we are unable to provide housing accommodations or a stipend this year. Late applications will not be given priority.

General Application Requirements:

We are looking for creative applicants who are passionate about sustainable food production and food awareness issues.  Applicants should be driven workers and learners.  They should be comfortable executing tasks alone in an urban environment as well as collaborating on team efforts.  We plan to give our interns a number of independent projects and responsibilities throughout the summer, thus they should be ready to assist as a major asset to our staff.  Preference will be given to applicants with experience working in the fields of farming, horticulture, landscaping, outdoor education, environmental restoration, ecology or equivalent education; additionally, applicants who have some background in food systems, nutrition, and social work, and strong passion for local food system reform qualify as well.  Additional prerequisites include the ability to lift 50 pounds and work full days outside in all weather conditions.

To apply, please email megan.ogle at franklintongardens.org<mailto:megan.ogle at franklintongardens.org> with a cover letter and resume attached as .docx or .pdf files.  Please indicate relevant experiences, motivations, and how you intend to use your experience with us in your future.  Please also indicate any college credit or other school requirements you may be looking to fulfill.  Applicants should specify which specific Apprenticeship they are applying for, or indicate an order of preference.  Non-apprentice interns looking for part-time (20 hours/week) opportunities may apply as general garden interns.

Organic Vegetable Apprentice
<http://www.franklintongardens.org/intern/#1>Season Extension Apprentice
<http://www.franklintongardens.org/intern/#2>Green Construction and Agricultural Infrastructure Apprentice
<http://www.franklintongardens.org/intern/#3>Community Engagement and Outreach Apprentice
<http://www.franklintongardens.org/intern/#4>Public Relations and Branding Apprentice
<http://www.franklintongardens.org/intern/#5>Medicinal Plants and Wild Harvesting Apprentice
<http://www.franklintongardens.org/intern/#6>Nutrition and Food Preservation Apprentice

<http://www.franklintongardens.org/intern/#7>

Organic Vegetable Apprentice:
The organic vegetable apprentice will spend a 40 hour work week assisting the Farm Manager in maintenance of 5-7 vegetable gardens which total to approximately 1.5 acres.  By the end of the internship, the apprentice will know:

*Interpretation of National Organic Program Standards
*Crop health, rotation, and seasonality
*Soil systems and fertility management
*Direct seeding and transplanting of seasonal crops
*Rainwater irrigation systems
*Season extension
*Weed management, cover cropping, and other crop maintenance
*Harvest and storage of crops
*Produce marketing
*The value of record keeping

Season Extension Apprentice:
The season extension apprentice will spend approximately 20 hours assisting the farm manager and production team, and approximately 20 hours working on independent specialties each week.  She will oversee vegetable production in our high-tunnel and help to coordinate the construction and planting in 2 more.  The season extension apprentice will be asked to do some research either from our growing library of resources or the internet on creative and innovative season extension techniques.  By the end of the internship, the apprentice will know:

*Interpretation of the National Organic Program Standards
*Crop health, rotation and seasonality
*Soil systems and fertility management
*Direct seeding and transplanting of seasonal crops
*Rainwater irrigation systems
*Using cold frames, plastic, agricultural fabric, shade cloth, and various forms of insulation to create microclimates for season extension
*General hoop house management and maintenance
*Weed management, cover cropping, and other crop maintenance
*The value of record keeping

Green Construction and Agricultural Infrastructure Apprentice:
The green construction/agricultural infrastructure apprentice will spend approximately 20 hours assisting the farm manager and production team, and approximately 20 hours working on independent specialties each week.  S/he will oversee management of current sustainability infrastructures such as rainwater catchment and irrigation systems and other farm structures.  S/he will be asked to participate in many new construction projects as we improve the farm, including an educational space, food preservation areas, and additional hoop houses.  By the end of the internship, the apprentice will know:

*Interpretation of National Organic Program Standards
*Materials salvaging and resource procurement
*General construction safety
*Infrastructural needs of a productive farm operation
*Sound construction practices
*Structure rehabilitation
*Proper tool and equipment use, care and maintenance
*Sustainable and green building methods

Community Engagement and Outreach Apprentice:
The community engagement and outreach apprentice will spend approximately 20 hours assisting the farm manager and production team, and approximately 20 hours working on independent specialties each week.  S/he will maintain and improve organizational engagement with the community of Franklinton and our community partners.  S/he will also coordinate community plot garden maintenance and communication.  Applicant should have particularly excellent personal communication skills. By the end of the internship, the apprentice will know:

*Interpretation of National Organic Program Standards
*General vegetable production practices
*Communication and outreach through electronic means and social media
*Effective outreach techniques for underserved communities
*Columbus City Code requirements of garden sites
*Neighborhood involvement strategies
*Databasing organizational contacts

Public Relations and Branding Apprentice:
The public relations and branding apprentice will spend approximately 20 hours assisting the farm manager and production team, and approximately 20 hours working on independent specialties each week.  S/he will assist the produce/market manager in local retail and wholesale marketing of organic product.  The apprentice will work to grow the Franklinton Gardens name and reputation as an educational urban farm throughout Columbus and Ohio.  S/he will also handle communication with any CSA members.  By the end of the internship, the apprentice will know:

*Interpretation of National Organic Program Standards
*General vegetable production practices
*Creative marketing strategies for local organic produce
*Creative marketing strategies for educational programming related to community food resilience
*Networking with philanthropists
*Customer service and communication with CSA members

Medicinal Plants and Wild Harvesting Apprentice:
The medicinal plants and wild harvesting apprentice will spend approximately 20 hours assisting the farm manager and production team, and approximately 20 hours working on independent specialties each week.  S/he will manage perennial crops, both wild and cultivated.  Independent projects will include preservation of medicinal herbs as teas, tinctures, essential oils, salves, etc.  S/he will be asked to do some research either from our growing library of resources or the internet on creative and innovative preservation techniques.  By the end of the internship, the apprentice will know:

*Interpretation of National Organic Program Standards
*General vegetable production practices
*Holistic healing approaches
*Identification of native wild plants
*Harvesting and preservation of herbs and medicinal plants
*Networking with the local apothecary and herbalists
*The value of record keeping

Nutrition and Food Preservation Apprentice:
The nutrition and food preservation apprentice will spend approximately 20 hours assisting the farm manager and production team, and approximately 20 hours working on independent specialties each week.  S/he will assist the produce and market manager in coordinating crop surpluses.  Independent projects will include preservation of crop surpluses and donations, compiling nutritional information on Franklinton Gardens' products, and others.  S/he will be asked to do some research either from our growing library of resources or the internet on creative and innovative preservation techniques.  By the end of the internship, the apprentice will know:

*Interpretation of National Organic Program Standards
*General vegetable production practices
*Dehydrating, flash freezing, canning and other forms of low-energy food preservation
*Nutritional effects of various preservation tactics
*Proper licensing for sale of value-added food products
*What complete and balanced nutrition means in local, sustainable context
*The value of record keeping

Michelle

Michelle L. Kaiser, MSW, MPH, PhD

Assistant Professor

The Ohio State University

College of Social Work

1947 College Road

325V Stillman Hall

Columbus, OH 43210

614-688-8363

kaiser.267 at osu.edu<mailto:kaiser.267 at osu.edu>

"Embrace difference.  Seek justice.  Be the change."