[Pond-management-news] No office hours on the 23rd! And some upcoming lake management events

Braig, Eugene braig.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 16 15:20:38 EST 2021

Limnologically inclined friends,

A few quick words to our list:

*        A short leave from office hours: I'll be here for this week's office hours starting soon (4:00-6:00 pm Tuesdays).  However, I have commitments next week that will preclude my ability to log on February 23rd.  Once again, I will not be holding my weekly office hours on 23 February 2021.  I'm sorry if this comes to create any inconvenience, but we can hopefully address your questions this afternoon, March 2, and Tuesdays into the future.

*        A Lake Erie-management seminar: You may be aware that the Ohio Lake Management Society (OLMS: http://olms.org) operates as a division of the Water Management Association of Ohio (WMAO: https://wmao.org).  WMAO collaborates with the Ohio Water Resources Center to host luncheon seminars every other month (in February, April, June, August, October, and December).  When live, they're held centrally, near Ohio State's (OSU) Columbus campus.  In the era of COVID, like so many other functions, those seminars are online and easily accessible from wherever you can find an internet connection.  We are rethinking those seminars with the intent that each will be arranged by one of WMAO's divisions.  Coincidentally, tomorrow's-the first of 2021-will be hosted by OLMS.  A little greater in scope than the private lakes and ponds we ordinarily discuss on this list, the title is "Funding Initiatives Coordinated with the Ohio Lake Erie Commission."  If curious (or even if maintain an engineering certification and would like some continuing-ed credits, check it out: https://wmao.org/content.aspx?page_id=4002&club_id=259593&item_id=1346067

*        Interesting lake-management webinars from Canada: When possible, I tend to spend my recreation time fishing in Ontario, Canada.  The province is hosting some interesting lake-management webinars spanning February and early March.  The first couple were pretty specific to local interests.  The coming three are more generally applicable, and I'm hoping to catch some or all of the remaining titles.  Check them out as well: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MEGqNWA9R4Oap2avC9k2uw

*        Extension's annual Woodland, Water, and Wildlife Conference: OSU Extension hosts an annual conference for land managers (staff and volunteers at park systems, natural areas, arboreta, municipalities and local governments, etc.) called the Ohio Woodland, Water, and Wildlife Conference (WWW).  Ordinarily, that conference spans three concurrent sessions occurring on a single Wednesday in early March.  In shifting to a virtual platform for 2021, we are instead holding the conference spanning three consecutive dates: the woodland session on Monday, March 1; water on Tuesday, March 2; and wildlife on Wednesday, March 3.  I am responsible for coordinating the water session each year.  This year's will feature talks related to wetland and invasive species management (especially regarding the perpetual nuisance Phragmites).  Unfortunately, because WWW is specifically targeted to professional land managers, likely maintaining professional licenses, with professional salaries, and programs that financially support their work, there is no reduced-fee option for registration.  However, given the quantity and quality of content spanning three days, I still feel registration to be affordable.  If curious...: https://woodlandstewards.osu.edu/events/2021-ohio-woodland-water-and-wildlife-conference

*        A water-related half-day conference with opportunity for college-student networking: March 9, WMAO will be collaborating with the Environmental Professionals Network and OSU student group TerrAqua to host its annual water-related spring mini-conference.  Conveniently enough, this coincides with World Water Week.  If you know any college-age folks considering careers in water management/science, there will be a student-and-professionals networking event to follow.  The conference theme is "Equity Strategies in Water Affordability for Marginalized Communities," and you can find details here: https://wmao.org/content.aspx?page_id=4002&club_id=259593&item_id=1356435

*        Pond-clinic season 2021: Finally, my travel is still restricted, but I'm beginning to book speaking engagements for locally hosted virtual pond clinics.  Depending on the host county, and given the nature of virtual programming via the web, organizers may entertain registration from anywhere with internet access.  If permitted, I'll share registration info as it becomes available.  Watch for it.

And be well out there,
Eugene

[The Ohio State University]
Eugene C. Braig IV Program Director, Aquatic Ecosystems
Ohio State University Extension School of Environment and Natural Resources
379a Kottman Hall | 2021 Coffey Rd. Columbus, OH 43210
614-292-3823 Office | 614-292-7432 Fax
braig.1 at osu.edu<mailto:braig.1 at osu.edu> osu.edu<http://osu.edu/>
http://senr.osu.edu/our-people/eugene-braig
My virtual office hours: https://senr.osu.edu/extensionoutreach/ponds-fisheries-aquatics/open-pond-clinic-zoom