[ΦTΣ] IFT Petition

Lee, Ken lee.133 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 1 21:33:44 EST 2024

Dear Fellow Phi Tau Sigma Member,

As we are also IFT members, Christine Bruhn, Bruce Ferree, Pamela Tom and several IFT leaders seek your signature on two attached petitions in favor of bylaw and awards policy revisions. Recent events that led to this initiative include denying Emeritus members the right to vote and failing to recognize jury-selected fellows plus three achievement awardees in 2022. Membership in IFT continues to drop and is affected by recent events. Here are the proposed improvements:

•         All dues-paying members have the right to vote.

•         Directors represent members who share a common geographical area.

•         There will be elections for our Board of Directors (BOD) and Office of the President (OOP).

•         Fellows and Award candidates chosen by peer jurors as worthy in 2022 will be recognized.

•         The IFT policy on recognizing exceptional award members is clarified.

If 25 members sign the petition, the CEO will evaluate it and send it to the BOD for consideration. We would like to have many more than 25 signatures to demonstrate widespread support to the BOD.

Five files are attached: 1. Rationale, 2. Proposed bylaw amendments, 3. Bylaw petition signature form, 4. Awards policy amendments, and 5. Awards petition signature form.

The IFT procedures for verifying signatures are very specific. You must:

•         Fill out and print the bylaw signature form and the awards petition signature form then sign in ink each paper document.

•         Scan or photograph each ink-signed document into an electronic file. (Your cell phone can generate these files, typically a JPG).

•         Send these four attachments in one email message to executiveoffices at ift.org<mailto:executiveoffices at ift.org>  from your email address that is officially on record at IFT:

1. A scan or photo of your signed Bylaw Petition Signature form.

2. The Bylaws Revision Proposal.pdf file.

3. A scan or photo of your signed IFT Awards Petition Signature form.

4. The IFT Awards Policy Proposal.pdf form.

If the signed forms, proposed amendments and your official IFT email address are not validated by IFT, the submission will be rejected.

 The amendment authors have already submitted these materials to IFT. We hope you agree that these improvements are needed in how IFT best represents its members for future growth. If the CEO forwards the petition to the Board, perhaps it will be on the agenda for the spring IFT Board meeting.

Please send a bcc to Bruce Ferree via insightfoodsafety at gmail.com<mailto:insightfoodsafety at gmail.com> when you send your forms to executiveoffices at ift.org<mailto:executiveoffices at ift.org> . This will enable the authors to keep track of the tally. This is a critical step which we hope will strengthen IFT and our profession. Feel free to share this message with attached files with your IFT colleagues. Thank you for your help!