[ΦTΣ] June 27 AM in Las Vegas

Lee, Ken lee.133 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 14 14:01:22 EDT 2012

As you plan for the Las Vegas IFT please consider the great work of Rob Shewfelt and the program committee in putting together a compelling program that should not be missed.  Over many years our IFT Achievement Awards are a highlight of the profession, yet the total "stage time" continues to shrink to insignificance.  We seek to celebrate accomplishment on an annual basis, and toward that end your presence at this special award symposia is sought.  A good turnout will help us convince IFT that this is a winner for our winners.  Please visit room N208 Wednesday morning and be sure to get scanned as a vote of support.  See you there.

-Ken Lee, President of ΦTΣ

Do Not Miss This Special Award Symposia

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 Las Vegas Convention Center, Room N208

This Year's Achievement Award Winners Share Insights on Developing Professionally Through IFT 8:30 a.m. - noon

Honorees:

8:30 Mary Schmidl, 2012 Carl R. Fellers Award

9:05 To Be Announced! 2012 Student Excellence in Leadership Award

9:35 Casimir Akoh, 2012 Nicholas Appert Award

10:30 Richard Black, 2012 Babcock-Hart Award

11:05 Nicki Engeseth, 2012 William V. Cruess Award

11:35 Elizabeth Sloan, 2012 Cal Willey Distinguished Service Award

Moderators: Ken Lee, ΦTΣ President; Suzanne Nielsen, ΦTΣ President-Elect; Al Bushway, Chair IFT Education Division; Denny Heldman, ΦTΣ Past-President; Our thanks to Rob Shewfelt, Education Division and Symposia Organizing Chair.

All attending may enter our prize drawing for famous food science books written by ΦTΣ members. You must be present to win.

Sneak Preview

Mary Schmidl, Ph.D.  - The Impossible Takes a Little Longer

[cid:006401cd39d0$0d43cb60$7E14FB96 at KathyPC]In ancient times individuals yearning a prediction of the future would journey to the divinely inspired oracle located at Delphi in Greece.  Unfortunately ancient oracles are gone and yet we still seek to know the future.  So now we turn to our oracle-leaders who must see into the distant corners of our global village.  They must sort through the endless array of national and international signals (scientific referred journals, government documents, books of all types, trade magazines, the Wall Street Journal, CNN, BBC, NPR, YouTube, podcasts, social media, National Enquirer, hallway chatter) validate them, and internalize the essential data. Great oracles are made and not born-learn how to become one and be a leader for tomorrow.

TBA* - Leading as a Student
 There are numerous leadership opportunities for students in the IFT Student Association, divisions, local sections and clubs. We are looking for volunteers willing to serve IFT in these positions and gain valuable experience. The Student Leadership Challenge by Kouzes and Posner provides a fascinating resource for officers in IFTSA as we participate in current activities and continue to serve IFT in the future.

Casimir Akoh, Ph.D. - Advancing the Food Science Profession through Research
[cid:006501cd39d0$0d441980$7E14FB96 at KathyPC]This presentation will focus on how to improve food science research, research integrity, and quality. The talk will include how to advance research, fundamental and applied research, collaborative research, and address the current funding problem. The importance of basic science research and good science will be stressed. The importance of relevant research, disseminating research findings, and restoring respect for research will be highlighted.

Richard Black, Ph.D. - Future Directions in Food Research and Their Implications for IFT
[cid:006601cd39d0$0d4467a0$7E14FB96 at KathyPC]As consumers seek foods that are both tastier and healthier, it may seem that scientists in the food industry will be faced with significant challenges in balancing between the two. However, while this may have been true historically, advances in food science will lead to effective simultaneous solutions. The real challenge will lie in successfully championing health & wellness as an effective, profitable business model.

Nicki Engeseth, Ph.D. - Educating IFT's Future Leaders
[cid:006701cd39d0$0d44b5c0$7E14FB96 at KathyPC]Societal changes, including consumer awareness of the impact of food on health, globalization of the food marketplace, and rapidly expanding technological advancements, have created challenges for the education of tomorrow's IFT future leaders.  These exciting times have created challenges both for students and for educators, leading to a need for creative approaches to both teaching and learning. We need to be able to address critical issues, yet maintain that future IFT leaders will be well informed, creative thinkers and adaptable to many different scenarios in order to have a positive global impact.

Elizabeth Sloan, Ph.D. - What IFT Will Look Like in the Future
[cid:006801cd39d0$0d4503e0$7E14FB96 at KathyPC]What will the food and ingredient industry look like in the future and what implications will it have for IFT?  What skill sets will be more important, who will the food scientists likely be, what education and business needs will food scientists have in the next 10 year that they don't have today. This presentation will focus on the changing needs of IFT members.