[ΦTΣ] Certified Food Scientist

Daryl Lund dlund at cals.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 27 11:45:54 EDT 2012

Roger:  I have just read the justification and background information on
CFS that you linked.  Congratulations for finally sharing some
information.  However, I am not convinced the CFS is necessary (nor even
wanted) based on the data provided. Who said food science as a
discipline is not gaining the recognition it needs? I see no evidence
that food science needs to have a certification program so it can be
recognized the way packaging, dietetics, landscape architecture,
engineering, etc. are.

Finally the argument that there is justification for embargoing
discussion of the concept while it is being developed is not convincing.
Your statement, " All of us at IFT are truly sorry if we were not
effective in communicating progress and listening to your thoughts.
Please know that it was not our intention to exclude anyone in the
development of the CFS program." appears to be incorrect since clearly
membership input was highly selective. I agree with Ferg that this
should be reconsidered by the the Board after more thorough input by the
membership. Just a thought.  Daryl

--
Daryl Lund, Emeritus Professor UW-Madison WI&AZ Home 608-250-0659 Cell
608-852-4227