[ΦTΣ][ΦTΣ][Foodsci] [*T*][*|T*£]Certified Food Scientist (IFT CFS) is questionable

Daryl Lund dlund at cals.wisc.edu
Sun Apr 22 20:30:32 EDT 2012

Barbara:  I also recall the discussions early on about certification.  I
never understood the reason for the interest (couldn't be monetary,
could it?).  I also recall the debates about moving to a Board of
Directors structure and the consequential requirement that we become
engaged in the discussions through self-initiative.  But I also thought
there would be a mechanism in which to become engaged. Since when does
an open organization put an embargo on discussions that a "group" is
having about a topic of interest to all? Where is all the background
material to justify the decision?  Where is the consultant's report with
the names of people she interviewed? There are just too many flaws in
coming to the conclusion that we  should just accept the decision.  Just
a thought.  Daryl

On 4/22/2012 12:45 PM, Barbara Blakistone wrote:

> I just can’t help but take a poke at you folks.  Some years back when
> it was time to decide if we stayed with a Council that aired all
> issues and had representatives from sections, divisions, and regions
> or converted to an elected Board structure, only 18 folks were with
> me.  Given that the majority felt it was time to let an elected Board
> make decisions, I laid aside the old ways of doing association
> business.  Board minutes are posted as are the names of the Board
> members.  If you really want to know what’s going on, you’ll have to
> take some initiative.  Back in the days of Council, it became apparent
> to me no one was that interested until it was time for Council.  Now
> the Board has decided on the CFS program.  I left the Board when that
> was being vetted and yes, there were issues being debated.  At this
> point, I would say these got resolved.  It’s way too late in the game
> for you all to start getting engaged.  That said, you can express your
> opinion at the Town Hall meeting at IFT.  And yes, it may be too late
> but do it anyway.
>
> I got the invitation thru IFT Fellows and Phi Tau.
>
> barbara

Daryl Lund, Emeritus Professor UW-Madison WI&AZ Home 608-250-0659 Cell
608-852-4227