[OSU-SLSR] Upcoming Support for Instructors Offerings

slearning slearning at osu.edu
Wed Jul 22 16:15:01 EDT 2020

Dear Service-Learning Community,

I wanted to highlight some upcoming opportunities from the Michael V. Drake Institute for Teaching and Learning that you may be interested in as we approach the beginning of Autumn term.  If you are not yet signed up for updates from the Drake Institute (formerly UITL), you can sign up for their newsletter here<https://osu.us10.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=5edf955c04f2ffb2315f46294&id=31f5755d02>.  Additionally, the Office of Service-Learning's resource list<https://u.osu.edu/servicelearning/faculty/resources-for-online-s-l/> is continuously updated to help you find remote service activities for your course or program, either as the main service activity or as an alternative available to students who are unable to participate in in-person service assignments.  I hope we can all approach this time as an opportunity to learn new pedagogical skills to continue offering high impact learning for our students and valuable service to our communities.

As always, thank you for your dedication to our students and communities!

Claire
Claire G. Sweigart, J.D.
Program Director
Office of Student Academic Success Service-Learning
614-247-4439 Office
service-learning.osu.edu<http://service-learning.osu.edu/>
Pronouns: she/her/hers / Honorific: Ms.

Support for instructors

Two upcoming virtual workshops presented by the Michael V. Drake Institute for Teaching and Learning are designed to support instructors as they prepare for autumn semester.

  *   On Thursday (July 23) and again on July 29, the focus will be on best practices for course design<http://e.osu.edu/eoa/Ipq9MoWWgK/>, whether for in person, online or blended teaching. These 3-hour workshops will take place at 1 p.m. on each day.
  *   On July 31, the focus will be on designing accessible and effective assignments for both in-person and online teaching contexts<http://e.osu.edu/eoa/QQYECLhrpU/>. Participants will use backwards design to develop assignments that guide student learning in alignment with course goals and learning outcomes. The session is from 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.

In addition, three upcoming virtual town halls will bring together individuals from multiple campuses, colleges and units across the university to focus on Teaching for Student Success in Autumn and Beyond. Sessions are geared toward instructors and teaching assistants, but are open to all Ohio State faculty and staff. The town halls are:

  *   July 28, 3-4 PM: Reducing Stress and Building Connection
  *   Aug. 4, 3-4 PM: Creating Inclusive Learning Spaces, Wherever and However they Occur.
  *   Aug. 11, 3-4 PM: Integration Resources and Pathways for Support

To more information about the town halls, see the registration website<http://e.osu.edu/eoa/qyJmwmw3Oa/>. (Registration is required.) These town halls have been developed in collaboration by the offices of Academic Affairs, Student Academic Success, Distance Education and E Learning, and the Drake Institute.

The Drake Institute also offers a number of rotating, small-group cohorts centered around instructional redesign, including Teaching Information Literacy<http://e.osu.edu/eoa/ZyFWhTPUZA/> (July 20-Aug. 9), Carmen Common Sense<http://e.osu.edu/eoa/kfpEI0aYOC/> (July 27-31) and Contemplative Pedagogies<http://e.osu.edu/eoa/01d6rGjeEV/> (July 6-Aug. 14; instructors can join at any time).