[OSU-SLSR] Coffee Hour Next Week +more news

slearning slearning at osu.edu
Fri Sep 4 16:36:49 EDT 2015

[cid:image001.png at 01D0E72F.E078D9C0]

Ohio State Service-Learning News
Welcome Back Coffee Hour
Mark your calendars now for our first coffee hour of the 2015-2016 academic year!  Meet your colleagues in service-learning and share plans for the coming year.  We will meet in Room 202, Thompson Library on Wednesday, September 9th, 9am to 10am.  Coffee, snacks, and good conversation will be available.  Co-host Beth Black, Undergraduate Engagement Librarian will share the work she does and the library resources helpful to those involved in service-learning.
For more information and to RSVP, please email slearning at osu.edu<mailto:slearning at osu.edu>.

Resources and Opportunities
Recipient of the 2015 Ernest A. Lynton Award Announced
NERCHE and the Center for Engaged Democracy at Merrimack College present this year's Lynton Award to Dr. Eric DeMeulenaere, Assistant Professor of Urban Schooling in the Department of Education at Clark University.  Dr. DeMeulenaere has worked to improve urban education for the past 25 years, merging his activism with his role in academia. Through research, teaching, and community engagement, he confronts inequalities and empowers urban youth to create change in their communities.  The Lynton Award recognizes a faculty member who connects his or her teaching, research, and service to community engagement.  The award is designated for pre-tenured faculty.  Engaging in service-learning is often seen as 'adding' more work to something that will not be rewarded in faculty evaluations.  But if we look at service, teaching, and research as interconnected and synergistic, we find plenty of opportunities to make service-learning activities 'count' across all three dimensions.  This year's Lynton awardee is a grand example of junior faculty excellence in service-learning scholarship.
For more information, visit: http://nerche.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1520:2015-lynton-award-recipient&catid=25:lynton-award&Itemid=581.
Senator Sherrod Brown's Office Accepting Student Applications for Collegiate Leadership Summit
In partnership with OSU, the John Glenn Civic Leadership Council, Ohio Campus Compact, and the Corporation for National and Community Service, Propel Ohio seeks to promote civic engagement and inspire college students to grow into civic leaders in Ohio.  This one day leadership summit will actively engage undergraduate students on specific challenges that the state is currently facing, including food security, mental health, and human trafficking.  An internship fair will be included.  Application deadline is September 15, 2015, and the summit will take place on October 16, 2015. Please share this opportunity with your students and encourage them to apply.
The application is available at: http://www.brown.senate.gov/propelOhio.

Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Claire Sweigart
Office of Service-Learning at Ohio State

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D0E72F.E078D9C0]

https://www.giveto.osu.edu/makeagift/?fund=312453

[cid:image003.png at 01D0E72F.E078D9C0]