[OSU-SLSR] SLSR for 08/22/2013

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Thu Sep 19 11:17:26 EDT 2013

[cid:image001.png at 01CE3696.AD7FA0E0]

Ohio State Service-Learning News
SP14 Service-Learning Course List Needs Your Input! We are currently compiling our course list for the Spring 2014 semester, which helps students find and register for service-learning courses. This list will be posted on our website and distributed widely beginning on October 7th. This course list is the primary way we advertise service-learning courses, and accounted for over 1/4th of our total website traffic in the previous academic year. If you are teaching a service-learning course next semester, we want to hear from you! Please contact Harmony Cox at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu> .

Service-Learning Initiative 2012-2013 Annual Report Now Available  The Service-Learning Initiative is proud to share our 2012-2013 Annual Report. This document shares our achievements from the previous academic year, and also sets a course for our future. Our office had a very successful year overall, but we take particular pride in the following:

*         Service-learning courses continue to serve as a widely-utilized community service experience for hundreds of Ohio State students. There are currently 88 courses that have identified service-learning content at Ohio State. Of those courses, 39 have an S-designation for approved service-learning content and 6 also qualify as General Education Open Option courses. In the previous academic year, nearly 3,000 students participated in a course that had identified service-learning content.

*         2012-2013 was a record year for service-learning outreach at Ohio State. Over 365 staff or faculty members from Ohio State and neighboring institutions attended one of 23 outreach opportunities, including conference sessions, sponsored workshops, and other service-learning related events.

*         Our office continues to serve as a leverage point for funds that support service and civic engagement on our campus. Through our partnerships with other offices, we have helped to distribute over $40,000 to faculty, staff and student who participate in service and civic engagement activities!
Read the full report here<http://service-learning.osu.edu/service-learning-initiative-2012-2013-annual-report3.html>.

Course Spotlight

In order to help service-learning scholars make connections and learn about new projects, we will seek to highlight a new service-learning course in every newsletter. Courses will be shared both here and in the "Spotlight" section on the front page of our website. If you are interested in having your course highlighted, please let Harmony know at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.
Service-Learning in Ecuador This May, the Higher Education and Student Affairs section of Educational Studies will partner with the University of Cuenca and the Comunidad Educativa Miguel Ignacio Cordero in Cahuazhun Grande to offer graduate and undergraduate service-learning courses for OSU students.  Students participating in this 3 week program instructed in English will be able to closely interact with teachers and students in Cahuazhun Grande, gaining access to serve a rural, indigenous, multi-cultural, multi-lingual pre-k to middle school.  For more information, please contact Deirdre Rosenfeld at rosenfeld.36 at osu.edu<mailto:rosenfeld.36 at osu.edu> .

Resources and Opportunities
Data Driven '13 in Columbus, OH on Sept. 27th The Data Driven conference in Columbus, OH is a conference for data users and decision makers from the public, private, and non-profit sectors. Participants will learn how to use data and information to improve planning and programming, understand the communities they work with, secure funding and plan for the future, and tell their stories to drive positive change in communities. This conference is a great opportunity to learn how data guides community change and gain access to tools and resources to assess your own community work. Learn more and register here: http://www.researchpartners.org/17338.cfm

International Service-Learning Summit At Northwestern University   Join the Center for International and Comparative Studies and the Center for Global Engagement at Northwestern in Evanston, IL from October 23rd-25th as they explore trends, opportunities and challenges in higher education related to global/service learning.  Their objective is to host a gathering that builds a community of practice among international service learning facilitators by inviting constructive examination of work and engaging in critical conversations about impact in communities abroad.  For more information, visit http://cge.northwestern.edu/events/2013-service-learning-conference/ .

Ohio State at the Engagement Scholarship Consortium  This year's Engagement Scholarship Consortium meeting will take will take place at Texas Tech University on Oct. 8th and 9th. The ESC is one of the largest conferences dedicated to university outreach and engagement work in North America, and will host over 200 presentations on scholarship and the practice of engagement in Higher Education. Multiple Ohio State offices and faculty will be presenting sessions, and an Ohio State project (The Young Scholars Program) will also be honored as a finalist for the C. Peter Magrath University-Community Engagement Award. For more information, please visit  http://www.engagementscholarship.org/conference/esc-2013-meeting.
Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
The Service-Learning Initiative at Ohio State

[cid:image002.png at 01CE3696.AD7FA0E0]