[OSU-SLSR] SLSR for 08/22/2013

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 22 10:34:34 EDT 2013

[cid:image001.png at 01CE3696.AD7FA0E0]

Ohio State Service-Learning News
Welcome Back Coffee Hour Join us on September 6th at 9am for coffee and conversation about service-learning at Ohio State. We will be joined by Kate Harkin from the P-12 Initiative, a university wide partnership that connects our university to Ohio schools and promotes successful collaborations. We'll also hear from instructors who will share how their partnerships with schools have enriched service-learning experiences for their students. We invite you to take this opportunity to meet and network with us and other faculty and staff who have interests in service-learning. This event takes place at 33 W. 11th Ave, Conference Room 101. Please RSVP to Harmony Cox at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>. We hope to see you there!

Designing Service-Learning Into Your Course Are you interested in service-learning, but aren't sure where to begin? Service-learning is an integral part of new initiatives at Ohio State such as the Second Year Transformational Experience Program (STEP), and service-learning courses can also qualify to be counted as GE Open Option elective hours for undergraduates. The Service-Learning Initiative and UCAT invite you to join us for a session on the basics of service-learning on September 11th, 2013 at 3pm in 150 Younkin Hall.  This workshop will help faculty and departmental staff understand what service-learning is and what goes into planning and developing a service-learning course offering. We'll also discuss examples of current courses at Ohio State, and tell you how the Service-Learning Initiative can support your efforts. Register here: http://ucat.osu.edu/participate/events/designing-service-learning-into-your-course

Course Spotlight

In order to help service-learning scholars make connections and learn about new projects, we will seek to highlight a new service-learning course in every newsletter. Courses will be shared both here and in the "Spotlight" section on the front page of our website. If you are interested in having your course highlighted, please let Harmony know at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.

ENGLISH3467S: Issues and Methods in Tutoring Writing This course provides students with an opportunity to learn theories and practices in tutoring and writing, and prepares them to work as writing consultants or tutors for individuals and small writing groups.  Students will apprentice as writing consultants/tutors in the University Writing Center, providing assistance to undergraduate students. For more information, contact Beverly Janine Moss at moss.1 at osu.edu<mailto:moss.1 at osu.edu>.

Resources and Opportunities
Student Life Multicultural Center Community Kit project The Community Kit project is an initiative that provides faculty, staff and students with tools to deepen discussion and awareness regarding diversity and social justice. The kits include multimedia tools, structured activities, fact sheets, questions for reflection, and potential opportunities for follow-up. Student Life will also provide consultation assistance on how to use the kit in your course or discussion. Contact Nicole Nieto at Nieto.12 at osu.edu<mailto:Nieto.12 at osu.edu> for more information.
IARSLCE conference sessions now available The International Association for Research on Service-Learning and Civic Engagement (IARSLCE) will be having their annual conference on November 6th-8th in Omaha, NE. You can view the full schedule of conference sessions and take advantage of early bird registration on their website now: www.researchslce.org<http://www.researchslce.org>
Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
The Service-Learning Initiative at Ohio State

[cid:image002.png at 01CE3696.AD7FA0E0]