[OSU-SLSR] SLSR Update for 09/05/2012

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Wed Sep 5 09:02:21 EDT 2012

[cid:image002.png at 01CD8217.30C4B970]

Ohio State Service-Learning News

Welcome Back! We hope you have had a good summer, and are ready to keep helping us support service-learning in the year ahead. The Service-Learning Initiative is celebrating the new year with a new logo. Check it out below, and keep an eye out for it around campus.  We have also created some new outreach materials that show off our new look here<http://service-learning.osu.edu/assets/files/studentflier.pdf> and here<http://service-learning.osu.edu/assets/files/new-servicelearning.pdf>. Thanks go to the Digital Union for helping us create these materials. We have a lot more exciting things planned, and we hope you will be a part of them!

Reminder: RSVP for our Welcome Back Coffee Hour on September 13th  Please join the Service-Learning Initiative for a coffee hour at 33 W. 11th Ave at 9am on Thursday, September 13th 2012. We will be celebrating our accomplishments from this year, and talking about our plans for the year to come. All are welcome. If you are interested in attending or need more information, please contact Harmony Cox at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>. We hope to see you there!

Service-Learning Course Spotlight

In order to help service-learning scholars make connections and learn about new projects, we will seek to highlight a new service-learning course in every newsletter. Courses will be shared both here and in the “Spotlight” section on the front page of our website. If you are interested in having your course highlighted, please let Harmony know at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.

Have a passion for service-learning, social change writing, and multi-media? This 2-hour non-credit seminar titled, ”An Undergraduate Writing Experience for Social Change,” will use writing to make a difference in students’ lives drawing on the principles of mentoring/leadership, diversity/privilege, and urban literacy by engaging students in partnerships with Columbus City Schools K-12 students. The course is open to juniors, seniors, and graduate students in any area and will be offered on Mondays, 12 noon to 2 pm. For more information, contact Dr. Hill McClary at mcclary.16 at osu.edu<mailto:mcclary.16 at osu.edu>.

Resources and Opportunities

Summer Enrichment Call for Proposals: The Department of African American and African Studies Community Extension Center is requesting proposals from faculty and advanced graduate students for its 2013 Summer Enrichment Program. This is a one-week program held to help 9th and 10th-grade students develop critical thinking skills necessary for success in high school and beyond. It is designed to provide students with both an appreciation for and understanding of African-American culture and history and an opportunity to develop familiarity and proficiency in the use of computer technology to access information and create knowledge. This is an excellent opportunity to bring service-learning to a group of motivated young students, and make a connection with one of Ohio State’s best community resources. If you are interested in participating, please contact  Sarah Twitty, Program Coordinator at twitty.1 at osu.edu<mailto:twitty.1 at osu.edu>.

BGSU Seeks Associate Director of Service-Learning  The Associate Director of the Office of Service-Learning (OSL) provides university wide leadership in the development and implementation of programs and services related to service-learning and community/civic engagement. Primary responsibilities include implementation of faculty development programs and a campus culture that supports service-learning and civic engagement programs, coordination of an effective infrastructure for community engagement, development of strong partnerships with academic and co-curricular departments and units, and management of assessment and reporting activities. For more information or to apply, please visit  http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/ohr/employment/page96280.html .

Call for Papers on Rural Service-Learning  The Rural Alliance for Service-Learning (RASL) invites paper proposals for an edited collection that will focus on the practice of service-learning with rural communities in North America. The collection will highlight how service-learning in rural areas highlights unique lessons that can inform all service-learning. They are currently interested in anything from a 5-page case story to an in-depth theoretical paper or empirical study. You can the RASL white paper and initial examples of case studies at http://comm-org.wisc.edu/rasl.

Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
The Service-Learning Initiative at Ohio State

[cid:image004.png at 01CD8217.30C4B970]