[OOD-users] Open OnDemand with LDAP/Duo auth

Lilley, John F. johnbot at caltech.edu
Wed Jan 2 17:39:19 EST 2019

Thanks for the feedback. We ended up getting Open OnDemand working using Shib/Duo so all is good!

John

From: "Dockendorf, Trey" <tdockendorf at osc.edu>
Date: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [OOD-users] Open OnDemand with LDAP/Duo auth

I wanted to report back that I’ve verified it’s possible to use Keycloak and Duo by having Keycloak perform authentication through SSSD running on the Keycloak server.  I followed the Keycloak docs for using SSSD [1] except for a modified /etc/pam.d/keycloak [2].  I verified that setting something like 'groups=*,!root’ in /etc/duo/pam_duo.conf and the PAM config was enough to require Duo.  If you wanted to make Duo optional you could do so via group memberships and I verified this works by changing groups config for pam_duo.  You could also do clever things with the PAM stack to use pam_duo based on other conditions.  Because Keycloak doesn’t actually know there is a possible challenge response using SSSD you have to setup Duo to have autopush=yes and prompts=1 so that the 2FA automatically sends a push notification to the person’s phone.

If more details are needed let me know and I can provide my exact steps taken to get Duo and Keycloak working together.

- Trey

[1]:
https://www.keycloak.org/docs/latest/server_admin/index.html#sssd-and-d-bus

[2]: