[OOD-users] Adding menu's & submenus to Open OnDemand

Franz, Eric efranz at osc.edu
Tue Nov 13 11:43:52 EST 2018

Shawn,

Sorry we don’t have this documented yet.

To add an item to an existing top level app menu (Files, Jobs, Clusters, Interactive Apps), if it is a static URL, you can add an app directory to /var/www/ood/apps/sys/ whose manifest.yml has a “url: http://url.to.redirect.to”. Here is an example:

https://github.com/OSC/osc-xdmod

The subcategory is optional and places it in a separate section in the dropdown menu.

To add a new top level dropdown menu you have to currently modify a global variable in the dashboard app initializer. Modify or create /etc/ood/config/apps/dashboard/initializers/ood.rb and add this line:

NavConfig.categories += ["Your Category"]

Then that dropdown will appear if any apps specify that category string. You may need to select Help -> Restart Web Server for the change to take effect.

In OnDemand 1.4 this requirement to modify the Rails initializer will be removed so that by default it will be easier to just drop new “apps” in place and have the menu organized how you prefer.

Thanks,
Eric

---
Eric Franz, Senior Web & Interface App Engineer
Ohio Supercomputer Center
An Ohio Technology Consortium (OH-TECH) Member
1224 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212
email: efranz at osc.edu