[OOD-users] Thanks and Xfce4 customization

Rodgers, Morgan E. mrodgers at osc.edu
Fri Jul 27 11:37:14 EDT 2018

Hi Eric,

I was looking into your question this morning and I found a few leads. For applications that you would like to remove from the menu, you may just want to uninstall them, but an alternative is to remove their $APP_NAME.desktop files, or to add the line Hidden=true to the .desktop file. The first place to check for .desktop files is /usr/share/applications.

A method for developing and setting a default panel for all users is detailed in this StackExchange question<https://unix.stackexchange.com/q/155007/204548>. A method for preventing non-root users from changing their panel is detailed in this one<https://askubuntu.com/questions/74205/how-do-i-prevent-a-user-from-customizing-the-panel-in-xubuntu>.

When I used the 'Redmond' style panel I was able to remove the logout button completely by removing the file /usr/share/applications/xfce4-session-logout.desktop. Otherwise I was only able to remove the suspend option by running:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-session -np '/shutdown/ShowSuspend' -t 'bool' -s 'false'
xfconf-query -c xfce4-session -np '/shutdown/ShowHibernate' -t 'bool' -s 'false'

I was not able to find a method to remove the Logout/Restart/Shutdown buttons from the Logout menu itself.