[OOD-users] Can't connect to Desktop VNC

Franz, Eric efranz at osc.edu
Fri Dec 14 16:27:45 EST 2018

John / griznog,

Glad you found OnDemand! Sorry you are running into issues with noVNC.

In addition to the Apache logs, you can also check the output of the job itself.

On the webform for submitting an interactive app at the bottom under the Launch button there should be a link to the “data root directory”. Job data will appear under here in the output/ directory. The directory names are currently UUID generated, since the staging occurs prior to the job starting.

Also, when launching the job, the Interactive Session card contains a “Session ID” which is that UUID. It is also a hyperlink. You can click it and it will open the Files app in a new tab to that directory.

Two common problems to look for:

  1.  The launching of the interactive app fails, for whatever reason, prior to noVNC being able to connect. Hopefully you will see this by inspecting the job’s log files
  2.  The compute node does not accept HTTP requests from the web node on the port the app is listening on, perhaps because iptables on the compute node have not been properly modified.

I opened an issue https://github.com/OSC/ood-dashboard/issues/429 to track making it easier to debug these common edge cases.

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you still run into issues.

Thanks,
Eric

---
Eric Franz, Senior Web & Interface App Engineer
Ohio Supercomputer Center
An Ohio Technology Consortium (OH-TECH) Member
1224 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212
email: efranz at osc.edu