[OOD-users] Seeking feedback – Dashboard menu restructuring

Basil Mohamed Gohar bgohar at osc.edu
Fri Sep 22 23:01:29 EDT 2017

All,

We are thinking of revamping the menu that is displayed at the top of
the Dashboard to have more sensible names and structure.

Right now, a default installation of Open OnDemand with all features
enabled/configure would have four application menus:

  * Files
  * Jobs
  * Clusters
  * Interactive Apps

Additionally, if application development is enabled (in the upcoming 1.1
release), there would be a special "Develop" menu option as well.

However, more inline with the general categories of apps as presented at
the last webinar (see slides 7–12, slides available here
<https://osc.github.io/Open-OnDemand/documents/Open%20OnDemand%20%E2%80%93%20Jupyter,%20iHPC,%20and%20Authentication.pptx>),
we are thinking to regroup the applications menu into three categories
with the following names:

  * System ("Cluster Access" in the slides)
  * Gateway
  * Interactive ("iHPC" in the slides)

We feel these are clearer and also makes it clearer which kinds of apps
should appear under which menu items. With the introduction of features
that enable much easier application development in 1.1, we anticipate
sites may want to add their own apps to their instances (or even share
them other OOD sites) so getting this in place ahead of that will avoid
a lot of confusion, we hope.

The details as proposed by Eric can be found in this Github issue:

https://github.com/OSC/Open-OnDemand/issues/25

So, we wanted to invite everyone to review this and get your feedback
before we make any changes.  This may or may not make it into the 1.1
release, we've not yet decided on that.  Your feedback may help us in
that decision.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

--

Basil Mohamed Gohar