[OOD-users] Testing OnDemand - 2 questions

Nicklas, Jeremy jnicklas at osc.edu
Tue Aug 8 15:16:43 EDT 2017

Hi Kevin,

1. Usernames have AT signs?!?! I learned something new today. Out of curiosity, how do users SSH? Is this valid:

ssh bob at jhu.edu@login.hpc.jhu.edu

Fortunately the above scenario won't affect the Shell App because we leave off the username portion when forking off the ssh command to the login nodes for the clusters.

I can look into fixing the regular expression issue you are having for the next release of OOD, until then I am guessing you managed to hand-patch the offending bit of code.

2. To confirm that it is reading the cluster config file correctly I typically go to Active Jobs and first check that you are presented with a dropdown of the configured clusters in the top right. After confirming I see all the configured clusters in the dropdown, I then change the dropdown on the left from "Your Jobs" to "All Jobs" and confirm I see the jobs on the clusters.

If something fails then I go to my log files and see what errors are being reported (from the OnDemand node):

/var/log/nginx/<username>/error.log

2b. If you modify the cluster config files, you will need to restart your personal web server to see the changes reflected in the apps. You do this by going to the Dashboard and selecting Help => Restart Web Server.

Jeremy Nicklas
Web and Interface App Engineer
Ohio Supercomputer Center (OSC)<https://osc.edu/>
A member of the Ohio Technology Consortium<https://oh-tech.org/>
1224 Kinnear Road, Columbus, Ohio 43212
Office: (614) 292-6739<tel:+16142926739> • Mobile: (614) 316-6428<tel:+16143166428> • Fax: (614) 292-7168<tel:+16142927168>
jnicklas at osc.edu<mailto:jnicklas at osc.edu>

Learn more about OSC at https://osc.edu<https://osc.edu/>