[Ohiogift] Mathematics Teachers’ Likelihood of Recommending Subject-Specific Acceleration

Croft, Laurie J laurie-croft at uiowa.edu
Wed May 17 12:07:30 EDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

It’s a busy time of year, but I’m forwarding this on for a colleague.  The Belin-Blank Center advocates on behalf of acceleration for those who need a faster pace, but we know that many educators and/or schools (districts) prefer NOT to use acceleration.

This short survey will add to the research about math teachers and acceleration advocacy (or not).  Please share with math teachers in your schools!

Thanks for your work with gifted kids,

Laurie

Laurie Croft, PhD (she/her/hers)
Clinical Professor of Gifted Education, Teaching & Learning
Associate Director for Professional Development, Belin-Blank Center
College of Education
600 Blank Honors Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52242
Office: 319-335-6148, Toll Free: 1-800-336-6463
belinblank.education.uiowa.edu<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.belinblank.education.uiowa.edu/?utm_source=EmailSignature&utm_medium=email&utm_content=CroftEmailSignature&utm_campaign=EmailSignature__;!!KGKeukY!zMEkgV1CH2ekxwWB6Z-7QwikPbNNAUeSTfc8W_JDI2T_Ch_VqQ2cqK261fnMMFVVN-UIaxqOIB21zeWJnEfrpeFpJQkrNA$ >
Nurturing Potential | Inspiring Excellence

Follow us on Twitter @belinblank or @LCroft57
[The University of Iowa Logo]

Hi!
My name is Anna Payne and I am a doctoral candidate in Educational Psychology and a mathematics teacher.  I am currently collecting data on math teacher's likelihood of recommending students for subject-specific acceleration (moving to a higher level in mathematics, whether a higher group/grade level or honors/AP/IB/etc.). This survey will take less than 15 minutes and the goal is to take this information and use it to develop more effective professional learning for math teachers and support gifted students in mathematics. I have received university IRB approval for this study.

In order to participate in this study, you must meet the following criteria:

  *   be able to read/write in English.
  *   be at least 18 years of age.
  *   identify as a math teacher (whether at the elementary level for at least 1 class [this could be GT or special education] or as a certified mathematics teacher).
If you would like to participate, please follow this link:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tinyurl.com/2s3cn3ez__;!!KGKeukY!zMEkgV1CH2ekxwWB6Z-7QwikPbNNAUeSTfc8W_JDI2T_Ch_VqQ2cqK261fnMMFVVN-UIaxqOIB21zeWJnEfrpeFhQWtJVw$

Please feel free to forward this to teachers in your building/district who also teach math!
Thank you for your time,
Anna

--

Anna M. Payne

Lecturer, Professional Development

The Connie Belin & Jacqueline N. Blank International Center for Gifted Education and Talent Development

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank__;!!KGKeukY!zMEkgV1CH2ekxwWB6Z-7QwikPbNNAUeSTfc8W_JDI2T_Ch_VqQ2cqK261fnMMFVVN-UIaxqOIB21zeWJnEfrpeFZMtPC2Q$